Locations are an important feature of BioHitech Cloud. Locations control how data is rolled up onto your reports and how security is enforced.
Location Hierarchies allows you to create reporting structures which allows Digester-related data to roll-up to geographic entities (cities, states, regions), responsibility entities (management tiers), or other types of organization entities (for example: corporate vs. franchise).
Every location has a "Parent" location (except for the very top location).
This allows data to roll up from the "Children" locations up to the "Parent" locations.
For example, let's look at an example Location Hierarchy:
In this example:
- Locations A, B, and C roll up to the East Shore location.
- Locations D, E, F, and G roll up to the West Shore location.
- Locations East Shore and West Shore roll up to the All Locations loction
- Locations, A, B, C have a parent location of East Store
- Locations D, E, F, G have a parent location of West Shore
- Locations East Shore and West Shore have a parent location of All Locations
- Note: All Locations does NOT have a parent (this makes it the "Top" of the location hierarchy)
Location Hierarchies and Security
Location Hierarchies are also used to control access to data in the system.
Every User in the system is associated to a Location. This location represents the top-most point of data that the user can see. In other words, the User can see all data related to Digesters at Locations that are at that given location or are at children locations to that given location.
The same rules apply to administrative access. If the user is an administrator, their ability to manage locations and other users is defined by the same Location Hierarchy.
For example, using the Location Hierarchy illustrated above:
- A user who is assigned to location B can only see data related to location B.
- A user who is assigned to location East Store can see data related to locations A, B, C (and the rolled up data at East Shore).
- A user who is assigned to location West Shore can see data related to locations D, E, F, G (and the rolled up data at West Shore).
- A user who is assigned to location All Locations can see locations A, B, C, D, E, F, G (and the rolled up data at East Shore, West Shore, and All Locations).
- An administrative user at East Shore can modify users at locations A, B, C, and East Shore.
- An administrative user at East Shore can add users for locations A, B, C, and East Shore.
- An administrative user at West Shore can modify the locations D, E, F, G, and West Shore.
- An administrative user at West Shore can add new locations under D, E, F, G, and West Shore.
To manage your Locations, click on the Locations link on the left navigation panel.
You will be shown a list of locations:
Adding a Locations
Adding a new location is simple:
- Click the New Location button in the upper-right corner of the Locations page.
- Fill in the form fields
- Click the Save button to add the location, or click the Cancel link to cancel
Editing an existing location is simple:
- Click the name of the location that you wish to edit.
- Fill in the form fields
- Click the Save button to save your changes, or click the Cancel link to cancel
Deleting a Location
To delete a location, click the Trash Can icon next to the location you wish to delete. You will be asked to confirm your deletion.